Fried Calamari are one of the most popular Italian antipasto dishes ordered in restaurants over the world but what many don’t know, is how super simple they are to make. My fried calamari are deliciously crispy, with a salty tang and with the perfect squeeze of lemon really are a divine way to start off your meal. This fried calamari recipe uses semolina and a lemon marinade which make all the difference to the crunch and zest! Once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll likely never order it out again – the restaurants just won’t compare!
#friedcalamari #calamari #friedcalamarirecipe
📺SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (IT’S FREEEEEE 😉 http://bit.ly/SubscribeToMyYOUTUBEchannel
📖Share it with your FOODIE friends on FACEBOOK
🌍Get the recipe on my website https://www.vincenzosplate.com/recipe-items/fried-calamari-recipe/
🍝Check out my website and register for FREE!!! http://vincenzosplate.com/
🌍Join my Small Group Private Italian Tour and discover the secret gems of Italy with me. Check out the itinerary and make sure you book asap (Only 10 spots available) https://www.vincenzosplate.com/italian-tour/
📖LIKE Vincenzo’s Plate ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/vincenzosplate/
📷FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @vincenzosplate https://www.instagram.com/vincenzosplate/
✔LIKE, SHARE and COMMENT on my videos please. It really means a lot to me.
FRIED CALAMARI RECIPE | How to Make Crispy Fried Calamari
Sunflower (or vegetable) oil
3-4 freshly cleaned calamari (including tentacles)
1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups Semolina
3 teaspoons fresh or dried parsley
INGREDIENTS FOR DIPPING SAUCE:
Free range egg mayonnaise
Medium stainless steel fry pan (or small deep fryer)
2 x medium size mixing bowls
Deep fryer (or medium fry pan)
1. Fried calamari recipe starts with good quality oil for frying. Pour a generous amount of sunflower oil into a medium size stainless steel fry pan and leave to heat up to approx. 180 degrees celcius / 356F.
2. While the oil is heating up, cut the calamari on a chopping board, while they are lying flat, or use scissors for extra ease. Cut up the tentacles too, just in half or thirds dependent how big they are and put them into a mixing bowl.
3. This fried calamiari is so easy, by the time your oil is at the right temperature, the calamari rings will be ready!
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour and semolina, along with 3 teaspoons of parsley.
5. Next, add salt and pepper to season and mix dry ingredients together really well.
6. My fried calamari recipe has a few extra touches, and this one is my favourite! Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the calamari along with a sprinkle of parsley and mix it through so it marinates them. This gives them extra zesty flavour and softens them slightly too!
7. Once you have let the calamari marinate for a few minutes, transfer them, draining them slightly, into your bowl of dry ingredients.
8. Mix them around until each piece of calamari is completely covered and doesn’t feel wet, again, leaving them for a couple of minutes to set.
9. Once the oil is ready, you should place the calamari pieces into a strainer and dust off the excess flour gently so there is not too much left in the oil.
10. Transfer the calamari to the oil and leave to fry for 1-1.5 minutes.
11. Once the calamari have started to crisp up and brown, strain them from the oil and transfer them over to crushed baking paper or paper towels to get rid of any excess oil.
HOW TO MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE:
1. This fried calamari recipe calls for some delicious dipping sauce and I have a simple one.
2. Mix mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of parsley together and mix well.
3. Leave to set until you’re ready to serve. This can be prepared ahead of time even before you make the fried calamari recipe.
HOW TO SERVE:
Prepare a plate with some crinkled up baking paper and serve these easy to make fried calamari alongside the delicious dipping sauce.
For the final touch, serve with lemon wedges and each guest can squeeze this over their own serving so the calamari don’t get soggy while they are still in the serving plate!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
🎬 #VincenzosPlate is a YouTube channel with a focus on cooking, determined to teach the world, one #videorecipe at a time that you don’t need to be a professional #chef to impress friends, family and yourself with mouth-watering #ItalianFoodRecipes right out of your very own #kitchen whilst having a laugh (and a glass of vino!).